Monday, August 6, 2018

Monday on the Farm

After a weekend, Monday is always catch-up day. Today was no different. After the routine daily chores, I spent the morning preparing another garden bed for replanting. This one is 216 sq ft. 


The last crop was sweet potatoes, a crop I use to help condition new soil. It's a stepping stone. So after harvesting all the sweets (most went to livestock food), I added several wheelbarrowfuls of compost, plus a dusting of coral sand and lava sand. Then tilled everything in to the depth of 3 to 4 inches. In the process, the tiller kicked out a lot more rocks. Now to plant....

Pineapples. Yup. This garden bed is on Matt's property and he prefers crops that don't need a lot of attention. And since I had a lot of young pineapple plants that needed a home, it was a good match. So in went 40 white pineapples. 

Spent the rest of the morning cooking slop & glop, preparing taro starts for planting tomorrow, and cutting some guava poles for another project I'll tell you about later. 

Afternoon job priority was watering what I already have growing. The beans, peas, taro, mint, turmeric, sweet potatoes, pineapples, etc. Irrigation used 300 gallons of water to give each plant a suitable drink, some requiring more water than others. It took me an hour. 

The rest of the afternoon included working on the back pastures clearing brush and sowing grass seed. Finished up the afternoon by feeding the livestock, taking a much deserved shower, and thinking about what to have for dinner. A full day. 

2 comments:

  1. White pineapple? I bought one the size of a watermellon in '82 when I was living near Captain Cook. I ate nothing but it for 3 days. I don't know why they don't sell them on the mainland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem is that they aren't good shippers. There's got to be a reason why you don't see them in the mainland stores, and poor shipping ability would be the only thing I can think of.

      Wow, giant sized! Mine can get pretty hefty but not nearly that big. My soil is still in the process of improving, so my pineapples are getting bigger each year. I'm not dependent upon commercial fertilizer, so the improvement process is slow....but I'm getting there.

      Delete