Saturday, August 18, 2018

A Pig's Tail

Call me stupid, but I never thought to look at my pigs' tails before. Having been raised in the city and only seen pigs as drawn in children's story books, I accepted the curly pig tail as a truism. Well hold onto your hat....it's not! What a revelation for this fairly new farmer. 

I was feeding the little pig herd today and for some reason noticed their tails. It was basically the one that was straight and held horizontally that caught me attention.......
Where's that curl? Was there something wrong with this piglet? 

A quick check of the next piglet in line showed the curly tail I expected to see. It curled to the left.....

Little sister next in line also had a curly tail, but it curled to the right.....
One of the other piglets also had this type tail. 

Next one at the feeding dish had a straight tail held up in a sickle shape over its rump.......

Shelly's tail hangs to the left in a loose drooping curl.....

And Lava has a weird tail, a horizontal corkscrew to the left.......

Now that I've become "educated" about pigs tails, I'll most likely notice what sort of tail my next pigs have, assuming that there will be future piglets, that is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment