Back in July we measured, configured, calculated, and gave it our best guess, coming up with a materials list. Biting the bucket, we ordered. $8000. Ouch! That hurt. Thankfully it will our last roof. That's the only thing we could think of to make the bite feel better.
Last week the materials arrived. It looked like an awfully small pile for that much money. Ouch again.
Yesterday we started. We choose to start with the back lanai roof, which actually had morphed into the hallway. This was the worst section of roof with spots eaten away by the vog and acid rain. When we (David and I teamed up on this project, though David did most the hard work) removed the roof screws, several were so damaged that they twisted off and had to be removed by hand with a visegrip. Tedious work. Inspecting the house underneath the roof, all looked sound. Thankfully no repairs needed.
Because of possible rain, we took the roof off panel by panel, replacing it as we went. Thus the need for two people. The worker (David) and the go-fer (me). And yes, it began to rain. Of course. So the day was cut short.