Thursday, November 13, 2014

Winterizing

With the early freezing weather on the mainland, several readers have asked what I need to do on the homestead to prepare for winter. Truthfully, not much. The number one thing we do is change the angle of the solar panels. During the summer they lay flat. 

For the winter months they are angled. 
There is no need to stockpile winter firewood. No need to can and freeze veggies from the garden. No need to buy a winter supply of hay for the livestock. No need to bring out the winter clothing. I use to do all those things but living here there is no need. 

I can't truthfully say that I miss those Eastcoast and English winters. Neither were pleasant to work in. Oh, there's many fond memories of winters spent walking and playing in the snow, the brisk feel of frosty mornings, icicles and Jack Frost. But I've been there, done that, and I'm glad it's now memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment