Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Soil Moisture Retention

I was out doing a bit of rototillering today, getting an area ready for planting. Much of the space had been used for gardening last year, and thus various soil amendments had been tilled in several times during that year. But this past spring was so wet that I had let this area become overgrown in grass and weeds rather than get a crop planted. The soil was simply too wet to dig back then. But now the weather is improving for gardening, so I'm back to tilling, to getting things ready once more for food production.

In this particular area, I noticed that a section had lighter colored soil and it was actually DRY. I had to think about it for a second, then recalled that I had not used this light colored spot for gardening last year. Instead, I stored the buckets and trash cans there instead. 

The dry area is in the upper right of the photo. I know it's not easy for you to see, but it is a shade lighter in color. 

Without the benefit of tilled in compost, mulch, and manures, the soil isn't retaining moisture like the rest of the soil around it. Wow, it's quite a good example of the benefits of adding organic material to garden soil. 

After I finished the initial tilling, I retrieved a wheelbarrowful of compost to add to that dry area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment