Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Emergency Fence a Repair - Being Prepared

Checking the fenceline today I came upon a rusting section that is finally giving up the ghost........rusting through, that is. It's been trying to die for months now, but it was still solid enough and effectively keeping in the livestock. But on close inspection, I found places that had rusted away, potentially leaving holes in the fence. Time for action. Leaving it go much longer could result in escaping sheep. Believe me, they can be difficult to relocate and bring home. Been there, done that, never want to do it again! 


Now here's the Boy Scout part ..... being prepared. I keep a roll of field fence on the farm at all times. Not always a full roll, but at least 100 foot of fencing. Why stockpile it? Because the nearest place to buy it is a 1 1/2 hour drive away, and when it's needed, it's NOW, not this afternoon. 

The roll I had was about 150' of fence. The rusting section was 100', give or take a few feet. So I had enough on hand to fix this section. 


Since David was working today, I asked him to help. Between the two of us, we cleared the fenceline of weeds and brush, strung the fence, got the job done in less than an hour. 

Because of our local volcano, replacing sections of fencing is a never ending job. Now I need to put a roll of field fence on the shopping list for the next time I run to Hilo. Last time I bought a roll it was almost $200 for the medium grade. I'd like to buy the better grade but it's difficult finding it in stock. It's a popular item. Perhaps this trip I'll be lucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment