Tuesday, January 2, 2018

2017 / 2018

Highlights looking back....
...found a successful solution to growing slug-free greens & carrots
...came up with an affordable (for me, that is) greenhouse to thwart the pickleworm moth
...had great success in learning to grow cucumbers
...learned that creating a steady farm income requires a lot of time. I also learned that as of yet, I don't have enough time to devote to steady farm income. I still have too many other projects that need to be finished first. 
...managed to create 1/4 acre more of edible pasture. It's a slow task, removing undergrowth, thinning trees, adding soil amendments, getting something edible to grow.
...added a Wwoofer/caretaker
...added a new puppy to the family 
...invited to Kapapala Ranch -- thrice!

Looking forward....
...finish the bathroom
...build an outdoor deck and add a hot tub 
...put a new roof on the house
...get the refrig and freezer onto their own small solar system
...get all the greenhouses into production
...develop a steady farm income 

As you know, I'm not into New Year's resolutions. Why set myself up for failure, along with the accompanying guilt, stress, and depression? Sure I'd like to lose weight, get rid of bad habits, accomplish great tasks...just like most people. But I'm happier if I refrain from resolutions and just stick with a few sensible ideas for priority projects I'd like to work on. If they get completed, fine. If not, then I'll just continue to plug away and enjoy working on them as I go. 

2 comments:

  1. I especially like your gardening accomplishments. I have a few similar problems that I hope to work on this year. Food is so important, but oftentimes I let other things push it out of the way.

    I'm with you on resolutions! That's why I just make goals, and why I've been working on the same goals for several years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm not the only one who isn't fond of New Year resolutions. Glad to be in good company!
      Leigh, I really enjoy watching all your accomplishments. They've been an inspiration to me. And although I still have work to do on my house, I do indeed place more emphasis on producing food. I get a deep satisfaction out of being food independent.

      Delete