Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The Allspice is Blooming

For joy, for happy joy, my allspice tree is blooming. This week it broke out in bloom all over. It's loaded! (Yes, little things make me happy) 


The end of every branch has a cluster of tiny, whitish, puffball type flowers. 


I have no idea if they will set seed of any sort, but time will tell. I don't know if my elevation or location is suitable for seed set, or even if I have the correct pollinator around. Do allspice trees need a second tree in the vicinity? Don't know. 

I makes me happy to see that my little tree is settled enough to bloom. I must be doing something right. 

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog. We are planning a trip to the Big Island in September to look for a rough piece of land to make ours and reading HIH get's me all excited. :) Keep up those green thumbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I hope you find the piece of land you're hoping for!

      Delete
  2. I so loved walking by the allspice tree in Kula Botanical gardens on Maui. Made me wonder if the high altitude (about 3000 feet) is preferred? Now living on Big Island property at about 500 foot altitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at 2300-2400 feet. I don't know if allspice is sensitive to elevation. Some trees are.

      Delete