Saturday, March 28, 2015

Vegetable Flowers

Just about everybody knows that I really enjoy flowers. While I don't waste a lot of precious time on non-edible plants, flowers are the exception. But hey, veggies have flowers too! Ever notice them? 

First of all, some of the veggies I eat are actually immature flowers. Broccoli is the first one that comes to mind. Cauliflower. Chinese kale. Then there are the flowers that I add to salads....nasturtiums, squash, violet, chive. 

(Chinese kale flowers)

Lots of veggies bloom, though I seldom give the much thought. Squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas......

(Pea flowers)

I've noticed that even within the veggie variety, the color of the blossoms can be different. So they could be white, other times pink or purple. I see this commonly with peas, beans, and potatoes. 

Bean flowers. This one starts out white then goes to golden as it matures. 

(Sweet potato flowers)

(Gourd flower) 

(Eggplant flower)

My herbs often go to flower. I've been known to sneak a few of these flowers into our meals. The various basils flower readily. So does dill, cilantro, summer savory, marjoram. 

(Dill flowering)

(Cilantro flowering)

Without flowers my garden wouldn't produce fruit type veggies, like tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, pumpkins, squash, beans, peas, corn......well I haven't been to successful with corn yet, but I'm still dreaming. Bumbye. 

Most of the flowers in the gardens don't have much scent. At least I don't notice them. But then I'm not noted to have a fine sense of smell either. But the two that I do notice are roses and macadamia nuts. Both smell wonderful. 
 (Rose flowers. A nice colorful addition to salads.) 

(Macadamia nut flowers)

No comments:

Post a Comment