Monday, April 20, 2020

Weekly Mini Fertilization

Mini fertilization. This is a method I've come to prefer over periodic macro fertilization (applying fertilizer when the growing bed is prepared just prior to planting), or even micro fertilization which implies that small amounts of nutrients are delivered with each watering. My method of mini fertilization is this........

Weekly, or sometimes only every other week, I make up a weak solution of fertilizer of some sort. Sometimes it's diluted urine. Other times it's sheep/donkey manure soaked in water overnight. Other times it's chicken pen litter stirred into a trashcanful of water. This rather weak solution is used to water the plants. Not much. Perhaps a cupful or less to a pineapple or taro plant. Or a light watering over a bed of peas or beets. I don't have any specific formula to give you. Sometimes I make it stronger if the plants act like they could use it, sometimes weaker if they are growing too well. And it depends upon whether or not the plants need irrigation that week. If they need to be watered, I make the fertilizer solution weaker and apply more volume. If the ground is already wet, I use a stronger solution, but less of it. 

One little side note in case you plan to try emulating me. Keep in mind that I also amend my soil with compost prior to planting. Plus I use fresh grass clippings or shredded compost as a mulch, which in turn provides the plants with nutrients. So this mini fertilization system isn't the sole source of plant nutrients. 

Yes, I know people are going to ask, "How much?" Ok, I'll try to give some guidelines for about 100 square foot of garden space.
... Urine. 1/2 gallon per trashcanful of water. 
... Manure. 2 cupfuls per trashcanful water. 
... Chicken pen litter. 1/2 gallon of manure containing litter per trashcanful of water. 

That's only a very rough guideline, because sometimes the plants don't need much fertilizer. Other times they are screaming for more. I have to read the plants to see how much they need. At times I even use much less than this amount. And now that I've said that, there are times that I double the fertilizer to make it stronger. 

I stir the fertilizer into the water. With urine, I can apply it immediately. For manure and pen litter, I stir and let it sit an hour, stir again, then apply. I use a sump pump to hose the water onto the garden area. It's slow, compared to farm irrigation, but it's a pleasant and easy way to pass time in the garden, contemplating the world---or perhaps future gardens. It's also a good time to listen to podcasts or audiobooks. I do a lot of reading and this is one of the ways that I have time to digest another book--while fertilizing the garden. I find the act of watering the garden to be a time of calm and rest. In fact, when I'm bushed from doing other farm work, I'll often go water the garden beds for some relaxation, plus sip a glass of something for rehydration at the same time. Add to this an iPod playing music and I set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment