Wednesday, April 15, 2020

April 15

Normally this date is Tax Day, but not this time around. Instead, it became Reopen The Market Day. With much trepidation, I reopened the local farmers market. The past couple days were spent prepping, trying to foresee any problems and fixing them before they happened. The coronavirus problem hasn't gone away yet. No, officials waited far too long before taking action for this to be only a short term problem. So we're stuck with this mess. But folks around here still need to eat, and importantly, they need a safer way to get their food than going into a closed in building full of lots of shoppers not wearing protection and not social distancing. Supermarkets are proving to be dangerous places to go.

The market grounds are spacious, open, airy, and normally sunny. It could accommodate 20 vendors widely spaced apart. Parking is such that people can avoid one another with little effort. So working from this base, a small market could be operated far safer than any grocery store. 

I've opened the market to food related items and sanitation/protection items. Period. Nothing else allowed. Today we had 11 vendors show up selling a variety of fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, juices, jams, honey, popcorn, and prepared food. In addition there were some food plants, handmade soap, and masks for sale.

Sign at the entrance. 

Market rules included wide spacing of tents, social distancing, sanitizing of hands and gloves, and facial covering for everybody-- no exceptions. All the vendors, their helpers, and 177 customers complied. But I ended up having to refuse admittance to 5 people who would not wear a mask or bandana. They expected me to argue with them, but frankly I didn't have the desire nor time. I simply stated that they couldn't enter and went about my business. They got the message and left. Little did they know that I prepared to have them arrested if they had not left. Yes, I had done my homework and was prepared. 

I have been asked if this was a wise thing to do, opening the market. It's a tough question to answer. It will only be in hindsight that I will be judged to be wise or foolish. But I took serious steps to ensure the safety of vendors and customers alike. The market looked to be far safer than any grocery store I've been in during the past month.

No comments:

Post a Comment