Thursday, April 16, 2020

Start of Recovery

Right now this farm is an excellent example of why NOT to neglect the weekly work schedule. After three months of doing little except harvesting, I'm faced with weedy beds and empty growing containers. It's enough to make a new gardener throw up their hands and quit. Not me. I see it as a challenge in a way.  And I know that I am capable of whipping this baby back into shape. Besides, it's the kind of work I enjoy doing. (And with this coronavirus lockdown, I surely could use the exercise!) 

The very first thing I did was create myself a goal. I spread out a layer of cardboard in one of the larger biotrash/hugelpits I'm working on filling in. Ugly exposed cardboard gave me an incentive to gather lots of weeds and trimmings to cover it up. The easiest and quickest way to get said weeds was by cleaning out the growing beds. Many trashcanfuls of weeds later, the cardboard was covered and I had several nice cleaned veggie beds. 

A new comfrey bed. Three weeks ago this was solid tall weeds. 

A little shovel and tiller work gave me space to sow seeds. And while I was at it, I decided to divide a large comfrey clump and start new comfrey areas. Looking at bare garden soil makes me want to plant something in it. It's like looking at a button on the wall and having a strong urge to push it. Yes, I admit that I've pushed buttons. And I just gotta plant something! 

Comfrey starts. 

So the beds around the house now have a couple types of beans growing, peas, green onions, and baby comfrey cuttings. It's a start. 

Onions, beans, and taro out my front door. 

2 comments:

  1. A lot of work, but everything looks so good it obviously paid off! It looks like you have an amazing growing season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One really neat thing about Hawaii is the year around growing. When I was living elsewhere, there were always growing seasons. And while there are a few things that have definite seasons here, most things can be grown anytime. I love it!

      Delete