Friday, March 9, 2018

Eggfruit

Here's a new one for you......egg fruit. I've also heard it called Yellow Sapote around here. I never saw or heard of this one until I came to Hawaii. The trees do well in my region, and I fact, I have one young tree on the farm. I plan to add a few more. 


How do I describe an eggfruit? Gee, it's nothing like I had on the mainland. The flesh is yellow-orange, firm under the skin and softer toward the center. The flavor is sort of like pumpkin pie, but it's not. Just sort-of-like. It can be eater fresh or cooked. I've had it added to smoothies. That's basically how I eat it. I also had it offered to me as an eggnog type drink. It was good, but when you add sugar and heavy cream to anything, it's good. Right? It can be eaten right from the sliced open fruit with a spoon, with a spray of lime juice. I saw one person eating an eggfruit/mayonnaise sandwich once. Not sure how that was because I haven't been brave enough to try it. 

Eggfruits aren't real common here simply because most people don't grow a tree in their backyard. But they aren't what you'd call rare. I will sometimes see them for sale at the local farmers markets. It's not a wildly appealing fruit, I guess because of its unusual flavor. 

Right now they are in season. Trees are loaded with fruits. A good friend gave me a few, which I shared with two others who have never tried them before. So it looks like I need to go back to the first friend and beg a few more off her. By the way thanks "S" for the fruits! 

No comments:

Post a Comment