Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Back To Work

Oh no....it's not me that I'm referring to (as you gather by now, I seldom stop.)  It's my mini greenhouses. They've been idle for some time, awaiting new plastic covers. Now that they're back in shape, they are also back in service, Two weeks of using whatever spare time I could scrap together, and now I have 8 of the mini greenhouses back in production. 6 of them are holding freshly seeded trays........


Cabbage, Chinese cabbage, broccoli, kale, onion, leek, radish, lettuces, spinach, Asian greens, bok choy, cilantro, dill, basil, beets. The first seeding was on the 6th. The next was on the 12th. And I just seeded a bit more yesterday. Some of the seeds have sprouted and I've transplanted to little seedlings into growing trays or individual pots already. 


Above, newly transplanted seedlings. I transplant them as soon as the develop substantial cotyledons. So far two of the mini greenhouses are holding little transplants. Chinese cabbage. Cabbage. Broccoli. Bok choy. Radish. Kale. Lettuces. Within the next two weeks these houses will be busting with seedlings. I'm planning on getting at least 16 of them full by the end of the year, hopefully more. 


Many of the seedlings will stay put to grow in the mini greenhouses up to harvest time. Lettuces and other things being grown for young salad greens: kale, spinach, Asian greens, bok choy, tatsoi, radish, lettuces. These mini greenhouses are protected from slugs, and with the danger of rat-lung disease, I feel it's important to grow salad and raw foods slug-free. While some places in Hawaii are very low or non-existent slug populations, that surely isn't this farm. Slugs are common here. 

The seedlings that are in individual pots or plant cells are destined to either the garden or for sale at the farmers market. . 

No comments:

Post a Comment