Monday, May 15, 2017

The Turmeric is Sprouting

The turmeric has been planted for some time now and I've been anticipating it sprouting, seemingly forever. Every year I question whether or not I did something wrong because the turmeric doesn't seem to sprout. But each year the tubers wait for whatever signal they need, then go about growing at their own pace. They don't care the least that I'm dying to dig them up to see what's going on there under the soil surface. 


I've started checking all the turmeric beds, looking for signs of awakening. Ah-ha! At last! A shoot here, another there. At the end of the orange box cutter is a vertical shoot that I swear wasn't there yesterday morning. 


Further along this bed I find a shoot that's already unfurling its first leaf. For some reason I'm overjoyed. 

A quick check of other beds reveals a few new shoots just popping up. So I'll give the turmeric a week or two to get going, then I'll go in and weed the beds, then apply mulch. 

This the season to be jolly, tra-la-la-la-la the turmeric is here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment