Sunday, May 14, 2017

Sirinam Cherry

Sirinam cherry, also sometimes called Brazilian cherry here. There are two slightly different varieties growing in my area. The first has red fruits and is more resinous. In fact, I'd say that they taste like turpentine when eaten fresh off the tree. The other has dark red fruits, almost black. The fruits tend to be sweeter and less resinous. Guess which variety I have growing on the farm? Gag... gag... gag... spit... spit... yuck. You call that edible? Yup, I've got the red kind. 


My tree was growing here when I bought the place. So it's years old and produces like a fiend. The fruit is so bad that the chickens won't even eat them. But I was recently told that I'm going about it all wrong. 


I've been picking the fruits when they darken (at least that is, when I used to harvest them way back when), like what I'm holding in my hand. The one still on the tree is much lighter red. But I recently learned that I should wait until the fruit falls off into my hand when gently touched. In plain words, pick at the point where it's not going to ripen on the tree any further, and if I wait any longer it will fall off on its own. Then I should cut them open and remove the pit, sprinkle the cut flesh with sugar, and chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours before eating. I haven't tried that yet, but I'm willing to give it a go. 

The cherry season is just over for me now, so I'm going to have to wait until next time to try the suggested harvesting method, stay tuned and we'll see if I pucker and gag. For now, this fruit is on my famine food list. 


No comments:

Post a Comment