Monday, August 24, 2020

Taro in the Rain

 The homestead farm has seen 45 inches of rain so far this year. Almost all of it has been in light amounts of night time rains. The result is that the ground is always wet to some degree or other, Mosses grow everywhere, the grass and plants are growing exceptionally well....except of course for those varieties that don't like their feet wet. I'm living in a rainforest now. 

Every morning the taro leaves look so pretty covered in rain drops. 
This variety is termed Zuike. Not Hawaiian. The unique characteristic of this one is that it is so low in oxalates that one could eat it raw! I'm finding that it grows really well with lots of rain. 

1 comment:

  1. Aloha, I'm Basil. I live near volcano, and am looking for Hawaiian kalo, and other taro varieties and saw you have quite a few, and by the looks of ot are on Big Island. I'd love to connect, can reach me by email at basilmaurer@gmail.com or by phone text is best at (808)430-0815.
    Hope to hear from you, MahalošŸ™

    ReplyDelete