Friday, May 1, 2020

Mana Piko

Today I finally got to a project that I've been promising myself I'd get to......planting taro keikis. It's way overdue. I've been growing several varieties of taro for a couple of years, gradually building up the population. At last it's time to prepare the keikis for sale.

With all my varieties, I started out with one plant of each variety. Each year I would increase my inventory. Weeeell, it didn't always work out. Sometimes the mother plant would die for one reason or another.  And when the pig got loose a while back, she tore up the taro patches. So that was a major set back too. I lost a couple of varieties back then. But what survived is now doing well and ready for potting up. 

First variety I'm tackling : Mana Piko. Being a mana type, I sometimes see double crowns growing atop the corm. It's really strange to see. No other group does this but the manas. 

It looks like I have around 70 keikis. This afternoon I got 50 trimmed up and potted. Now it's a case of tending them and letting them grow.
These will live in a mini greenhouse until ready fior sale. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I really like your mini green houses, do you have a previous post of them? thank you so much, I looking forward reading your posts :-) greetings from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  2. never mind, I found them!! thank you so much for sharing all you do, all you know :-)

    ReplyDelete