Monday, May 4, 2020

Finding Pineapple Plants

Pineapples can really get lost in the grasses and weeds. I'm not sure why, but everything likes to grow around pineapples.....just like things like to grow around very spiny cacti. Those evil little gods in life seem to take joy in watching me try to weed around a cactus! If you don't already know, the very nature of pineapple plants makes it difficult to weed around them. So my choice has been to use a generous amount of mulch to keep weeds down. Commercially, they use herbicides and plastic film, but those are not part of my farm program. So a hoe or hand sickle, plus mulch, works for me with pineapples. I just can't let the weeds over grow. Yes, I've done that too many times when I first started. And here again I find that I've neglected a patch far too long. So I have to find the pineapple plants.  

Pineapple plants -- lost

This past week 5 pineapple beds got recovered. The one pictured here was by far the worst. In the process I found a small ripe pineapple. What a nice reward! Fried pineapple with dinner tonight! I still have a few more pineapple beds to weed, and who knows, perhaps I'll find another one ready for eating. I can only hope. 

Pineapple plants -- found

No comments:

Post a Comment