Saturday, May 16, 2020

Gifted Fish

My fish. 
Here's a beauty. It's a ehu, aka ruby snapper. I was gifted this fish by a wonderful fisherman who is currently giving all his catch away to senior citizens in our community. It's part of the community effort to support others in our community ohana during these difficult times.  

This is one thing I really love about living where we do. We have a nice community. Of course we have our bad eggs here too, but all in all the people help one another when there is need. Several fishermen are going out to bring back a catch that they give away to the elderly. Several hunters are bringing in pigs, goats, and turkeys which are also being given away to families in need. I know of several gardeners giving away their veggies and fruits. A number of landowners are allowing people come pick the fruits off their trees. This is all part of the aloha spirit that thrives here, if you let it and encourage it. 

Getting back to the fish......... I've never tried eating this fish before, so it's a new experience for me. Cleaning and filleting it was a breeze, outside of the fact that I stabbed my finger on one of the fin spines. I bet that's gonna be sore in a couple of days. Anyway... It was suggested to coat the fish in mayonnaise and bake it. I'll try a small piece like that just to give it a try. And even though I gave half the fish to a senior that I know,  I have plenty of fish to try other preparation methods too. I'm looking forward to tasting my first piece of Hawaiian ehu. .

No comments:

Post a Comment