Monday, June 27, 2016

Fungus

Rain. Rain, more rain. I'm sick of it. But it surely has been loved by the fungi growing around here. I decided to take a farm walkabout and see what sort of fungi are visible.

Above, this little oddity is about 1 1/2 inches high jutting out if the forest litter. It looks like a red star flower atop a white stalk. Pretty and weird. 

Above....walking among the fern regrow th in the secret garden, I accidentally came across a patch of wood chips with little red dots all over them. Tiny and very red. I wonder what sort of fungus this one is. 


Above, I came upon patches of bright yellow dog vomit fungus. So colorful, it's hard to miss. Wow, it just screams at ya. I came across three patches of the stuff growing on decomposing cardboard. 


Above.....Mushrooms abound. Big. Small. White. Brown. Robust. Fragile. These are just two photos, but I saw lots of littler mushrooms all around. 

Above..... Shelf fungus was easy to find along old rotting logs. I haven't seen this variety before. Most of the shelf fungus is the type that looks like a turkey tail fanned out. 

Above...... So what's this stuff? I'm guessing it's a fungus of some sort. I found this growing on my back porch steps. 

And lastly, this bright yellow stuff is growing between the layers of wet cardboard. 




2 comments:

  1. Fungi are weirdly fascinating. We have had so little rain for June, however, that there isn't enough moisture to suit most of it, I think. You can send some of your rain my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow there's fungus amongus. Sorry I couldn't help myself. I have looked at fungus very differently since 2011 when I became afflicted with a fungal pneumonia called San Joaquin Valley Fever. Respect the fungus. Though she be but little she is fierce!

    I think one you have is slime mold. The yellow one with tendrils. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete