Thursday, March 3, 2016

Surprise in the Chicken Pen

One thing I can say about having animals is that they always can surprise you. A hen did just that today. I visited the chicken pen first thing this morning and found a mama bird protecting her single chick. Heck, where did THAT come from? I pick the eggs from the nest boxes every day, usually 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I find one on the ground and I take that one too. 


But this wiley hen somehow snuck an egg past me. The only thing I can figure is that she had a nest secreted away in the floor litter somewhere and must have been sitting on it whenever I came in. Honestly, I never once saw the egg. 

Poor mama was going nuts trying to fend off the other 40-50 chickens in order to keep her chick safe. So I picked her and her chick up and moved them to an empty pen where they can be alone. 

Goes to show you, every day can hold a surprise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment