Friday, March 11, 2016

Non-Sifted Compost

Millie asked via email, "Does compost have to be sifted before using it in my garden?" 

I don't always sift my compost. I usually only sift it when I plan to add it to existing garden beds where to coarse material would interfere with the rototiller. 

In my taro beds (pictured is the one that's growing on a concrete slab), I never sift the compost I add into the aisle ways. 


When I initially plant the taro, I scoop up the old compost in the aisles and add it to the mounds where I actually plant the baby taro. The mounds stay about a foot deep in plantable soil. Then later when extra compost becomes available, I'll fork a good 6 to 12 inches of coarse compost into the aisles between the plants. 


And I'll also add it as a border around the bed. 


As you can see in the photos, the material is chunky with lots of stuff that hasn't decomposed yet. That's fine with me, because over the next 6-9 months most of it will break down a lot more. 

Why don't I sift it? 
1- No need. The plants do fine. 
2- It will drain better if we happen to get a deluge. Once we had 13 inches of rain in 24 hours! 
3- It's a lot easier on me and takes up less time. Time is in short supply around here.

ps- I will cover the compost with a layer of grass clippings when I get a chance to make some extra. 

No comments:

Post a Comment