Friday, September 25, 2015

Will Goats Eat Tomato Plants

Yes, will a goat eat tomato plants? That's one of the questions I've recently fielded via email. 

Answer ......yes. 
Above, Nani is ignoring the various grasses and hono hono grass to purposely eat the volunteer tomato plant that she found. 

You would think that a goat would avoid this plant. It's mildly toxic. The leaves are strongly scented. It just doesn't seem to be a thing that animals would want to eat. Wrong. Both my goats and sheep will, and have, eaten entire plants right down to the thick stems. They prefer the young growing tips, but will repeatedly return to the plant until there is almost nothing left. 

Conclusion? Keep the goat away from the garden. 

2 comments:

  1. I have many tomato and squash plants left in my garden. I want to let my sheep/goats in the garden. Will that b ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a general rule, goats are stupid. But that stupidity is mostly in regards to jumping into, on top, through, over things they shouldn't (there is bridge over a highway and I still have a leg that's not been broken). Never had a goat go down from eating too much milkweed or tomato leaves though.

    ReplyDelete