Friday, December 27, 2019

Take a Tree - Plant a Tree

I've made it a commitment that when I harvest or remove a tree, I plant a replacement someplace. Actually I usually plant several trees as a replacement. I'm making no exception with the 7 eucalyptus trees I had taken down. In their place I will be planting 6 citrus trees, since citrus will grow in the semi shade. In addition, I'll be planting eleven other trees around the property........trees that I've grown myself. Two grafted avocado, two jackfruit, a rooted cutting from a yellow ohia, 3 Norfolk pine, 2 palms, and a mango. The mango won't produce fruit at my location, but 30-50 years from now somebody can harvest the beautiful wood. 

I've been chatting via the Internet with a struggling small farmer in Kenya. She bemoans the fact that all the trees in her area are rapidly disappearing......being cut down for firewood. No one in her region has thought to plant replacement trees. Her region is becoming drier and drier. I also chat occasionally with a woman in Haiti who also has a similar situation......desertification due to massive tree removal. And the local residents there also do not embark upon reforestation. Nobody thinks about it. There is real danger in removing trees and not replanting. Being aware of that, I replant plenty of trees myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment