Sunday, December 8, 2019

Homemade Screendoor

Boy, I wish I had been able to take up woodworking when I was young. Girls weren't allowed to take wood shop in school while I was growing up. And as a young adult, I didn't have time to take those classes. Now that I'm retired, I'd take woodworking classes if we had a vocational school in my area. It's something I enjoy doing, even if I'm not good at it. But alas, no vocational school. In such a poor rural area, a vocational school is desperately needed. The kids here graduate high school totally ill equiped. But the higher-up officials don't seem to think that's a problem.......oh, let the kids sponge off the government....or sell drugs for a living. Oh, oh, oh---- before I get lost in a rant, I'll get back to woodworking. 

I've been dabbling in making wood things-- towel racks, door handles, and even a small table. This past week I've examined the results of David making a screendoor. It didn't look all that overwhelmingly difficult. The hard part was setting up a jig to make sure the door was square. And the second hardest thing looked to be the routering. The first just takes patience and precision. The second demands practice. 



I'm considering buying an Alaskan sawmill. I watched a fellow up the road from me use one to cut slabs for making table tops and shelves. He had modified the rig by using overhead rails to guide the mill so that he could make better cuts. It took patience and precision to get a good cut, but it sure was do-able. 

Happily I live in an all wood house. Handmade wooden towel racks don't look out of place. I think I'll keep dabbling in little woodworking projects. Who knows what I'll come up with. 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Su Ba! I've finally found your blog. Sounds like quite an adventure. And you use the same template as I do for my own gardening blog. I'm scanning over the years on your site, very interesting. Thought I'd at least let you know that I'm doing it (how old school is that?!)! Oh, and I'm an occasional woodcarver so can certainly relate to the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'd like to visit your blog. Could you send me the address? Kaufarmer@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. So many time I have thought that all girls should take shop in addition to home ec, and all boys should take cooking and sewing classes in addition to shop! Of course, none of that is taught nowadays, which is a real shame. Those are practical life skills that everybody needs. The screendoor is very attractive, but it does look tricky. The joinery would worry me. Still, if you start small, who knows where you'll end up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I wasn't aware that they cut out those classes. No wonder the young people today are so ignorant of basic life skills. I just recently had to show a wwoofer how to see a button on.

      Delete
  3. Hi! Have you ever tried running coconut husks through your Mackissic Shredder? We have one of their commercial models in Madagascar and are looking to buy several of the smaller ones and have tons of coconut husks we'd love t compost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried, but had no success. Even small pieces jammed the hammers. Don't ever try sending a whole coconut through. I had to dismantle the machine to get it unjammed and remove the coconut. Big mistake!

      Delete