Sunday, September 1, 2019

Greenhouse Yield by the Dollar

To date I've gotten 59 zucchini. Around here, zucchini sells for $1 each. 

So far I've harvested 56 nice cucumbers. These also sell for $1 each at our farmers market. 

I've never seen fresh lima beans for sale here, so I don't know what their monetary value is. But I think I could get $1 for a sandwich baggie unshelled if I sold them. So I'll guess the limas to date could be valued at $10, and I've only harvested about 1/4 of the anticipated crop. 

Large tomatoes sell for $1 each. 4 medium ones for $3. Cherry tomatoes $3-$5 a sandwich baggie, depending upon the color and shape. I haven't the foggiest idea how many tomatoes I will be harvesting, so I'll skip adding their value into the total for now. 

Same for peppers. I can't add their value because I don't know how many I'll get. I've harvest 22 skinny frying peppers so far, but the main bulk will be the blocky types, which aren't ready yet. 

So let's see........
...zucchini -- $59
...cucumbers -- $56
...lima beans -- $40 
...tomatoes & peppers unknown

That's $155 so far if I had simply sold those veggies. Thats $155 for the first 3 months counting just 3 crops. I'm a long way from determining how long it will take for the greenhouses to financially break even, then turn a profit. But regardless, I'm quite pleased with this experiment so far. 

I have a feeling that those tomatoes, if all goes well, will be paying for the greenhouses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment