Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Diary Entry

I haven't made a daily diary entry in awhile. I like to post a diary occasionally just to let those interested in a homestead or small farm life know what day to day might be like. I composed this Monday evening. 

Early dawn wakes me up. The start of another day. After completing the usual morning routine, what does the day hold now? Rain. Yuk. Rain, which turned out to last all day. 

..... Move yesterday's laundry water down to the greenhouses. Charge it with compost tea, then water all three greenhouses, even the empty one. The empty one is ready to prepare for replanting. I don't want the soil in it to dry out between crops, so I water it along with the other greenhouses. 
..... While I'm in that area, I harvest two pallet boxes of potatoes -- Yukon Gem and Caribe. After removing the spuds, I cart fresh compost to the boxes and mix it in. It took 6 wheelbarrow loads to tup up the boxes. Lots of mixing, lots of effort. I should have waited for a dry day so that I could have used the rototiller, but I was eager to replant these boxes. Once ready to replant, I sow each with bean seeds. After all, how many more days will it be raining? One never knows, especially when there is a weather system spanning the entire island chain. I don't want to wait. 
..... Still in the area, I harvest lima beans, sweet peppers, and tomatoes. It's always rewarding to harvest something. 
..... I still have time to work on harvesting bamboo poles before lunch break. I don't know what name this bamboo has, but the poles are 1 inch in diameter, solid cored, and tough as heck. A lopers won't do it. So I bring out the battery operated sawsall. Yes, it's still raining, but it's slowed down to a misty drizzle. So I can use the sawsall as long as I protect it and don't lay it in the rain. Zip. Zip. Zip. Hack down about 40 poles. Putting the sawsall back into the truck, I grab the hand pruners. I don't have enough time to clean up all the poles, but I get about half done. 
... Lunch break. Heat up a pot of homemade soup that I made last night, and trek down to town to share lunch with hubby. After lunch, spend the next hour taking care of business in town, plus pick up slop buckets full of waste food from the local restaurants. With the addition of cooked rice, this will be the chickens' dinner tonight plus their breakfast tomorrow. 
..... Back at the farm, I put the slop & rice onto the outdoor cook stove. I'll come back in about a half hour to turn it off. Next, I finish up cleaning the bamboo poles. The thick poles get moved to the pole storage spot next to the greenhouses. The thinner poles, which get used for plant stakes and markers, get piled over by the garden beds. All the trimmings get cut up into 1 foot long lengths, then go into the hugelpit that I'm filling alongside the driveway. 
..... Interrupting my "fun" with the bamboo, I check on the chicken's dinner slop. All four pots off the stove and into hayboxes to complete their cooking. By dinner time they should be cool enough to feed, though still warm. The hen's have gotten use to eating warm meals. 
..... The hugelpit is due for a layer of manure. So, armed with old feed bags, I head back to the back pastures to gather up donkey manure. It takes an hour to gather what I need. After dragging the bags out of the pasture, I drive them down to the pit. It doesn't take long to fling the manure about. Job done. The 3 pits are ready for the next layer of weeds and trimmings. But that will be another day...actually days
..... With still a bit of time left, I head over to pond to harvest the excess pond plants. Loading them into buckets, I drive them over to compost bins, adding layers to the bins I'm working on filling. I'm totally soaked by now from the rain and pond water, and I'm running low on energy. Time to slow down and think about calling it a day. 
..... Before heading back to the house, I pick up the fallen macnuts (a 5 gallon bucketful) and lilikoi (23). 
..... Back at the house, the first thing I do is dish out the chicken feed for the girls. Next are the kenneled dogs -- clean up the pen and add fresh litter; fresh water; fresh food. Give each dog a brushing and give them fresh blankets. No walks today due to the continuing rain. Yup, it's still raining. 
..... Time to clean up. Shower. Dry clothes. Next .....
..... Process the morning's harvest. Macnuts get washed and set on a tray under the house to dry. The lilikoi are washed, then juiced. The juice goes into the frig. The peppers are sliced and popped into the freezer. The tomatoes will be for tonight's dinner, with the extras going into the freezer for future soups. The limas will wait to be shelled later tonight. I go outside to harvest some green onions for dinner. 
.... Feed the cats. Check the solar batteries. Feed ourselves. Shell those limas. Look back on the day and give myself a pat on the back for jobs well done. Line up a few tasks I'd like to do tomorrow -- tasks that could be done despite the rain. Oh crap, I just remember that I have a truck appointment at Nissan tomorrow, over in Hilo. Well, that shoots the day for any farm work. But on an upside, I get to pick up the new riding mower. Yes, I'm breaking down and getting a riding mower again. I need more grass clippings than I can mow with the regular lawnmower. I'm not giving up the push mower. It's a great form of cheap exercise. No need for a membership at the gym! I need a goodly volume of grass clippings, which a riding mower will deliver in a hurry. I used one before, so I know that it doesn't take long to get a whole truckload of clippings quite fast. And now that I am getting older, I just might make the riding mower a permanent piece of farm equipment this time around. 

7 comments:

  1. Question! How are you hauling your laundry water? We're setting up an outdoor laundry area and so far my idea is hoses.

    Dan's been wanting a donkey, but I keep saying no. Still, the goats don't make pick-upable manure, so maybe a donkey is the thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoses sound like a good idea to me. I don't go with just a hose because my gardens are too far away from the washer. So the wash machine discharges into a very large Rubbermaid heavy duty trashcan (actually I have 3). A plastic barrel would work, but I had easier access to the trashcans.

      From there the water is pumped to trashcans in the bed of the truck for transporting down to the gardens and greenhouses. I use a portable sump pump that I bought at Ace Hardware. This pump takes a common garden hose. Once down at the gardens, I use a small portable generator to operate an identical pump (which I store in one of the greenhouses) to transfer the water from the trashcans to whatever I'm watering. I have no electricity on much of the farm, thus the need for a generator.

      The trashcans up by the washer need to be tipped occasionally to clean out the sludge that builds up on the bottom, so I wouldn't suggest using something that isn't easily cleanable. I don't have to worry about freezing where I am. When I lived in NJ I discharged the wash water out onto the lawn. I used a long swimming pool hose so that I could move the discharge site easily. During the winter I just made sure that the hose was empty when I was finished.

      By the way, my email is kaufarmer@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Remind Dan that a donkey eats a lot of food. Yes, it gives lots of manure that's easy to pick up, but it takes lots of hay to create lots of manure. But having said that, I really enjoy having a donkey. I've found that a dustpan and child's rake makes gathering sheep and goat manure easier.

      Delete
    3. Dan has talked about pumps too, since sometimes our hose set-ups get awfully long.

      Good to know about the donkey diet. I like the idea of easy-to-pick-up manure, but I know donkeys can be loud. Somehow I doubt that would go over with our neighbors, lol. Our goats already do enough hollering as it is. I'd like to have another llama because they eat less than goats. Quieter too.

      Delete
  2. I have a question. It doesn't have anything to do with this post, but I couldn't find an email address for you, so I'll ask it here.

    Am I correct in remembering that your chest fridge and freezer are on a separate solar system from your house? My question is, have you measured the surge watts for the chest fridge with a Kill-A-Watt or similar? How did you size your inverter? I have it worked out where I think I can get at least my freezer off the grid. ALso we're going to replace one of our upright refrigerators with a chest freezer to fridge conversion. I haven't bought that yet, but I'm trying to find surge watts to see if I can get it off the grid too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1- Our freezer is a DC unit, thus we don't need an inverter.
    2- Our Sundanzer freezer is rated to use between 300 and 500 watts per day. Those figures come from Sundanzer and we have found them to be accurate.
    3- While the Sundanzer cost more to purchase, it also meant that we could build a much smaller solar system to operate it than for an equivalent AC freezer. We have folks around here who use regular AC frig and freezers on their solar systems, but they needed bigger systems than what hubby & I have.
    4- We did not measure the surge watts ourselves for any of our appliances or equipment. We simply asked the technical department of the manufacturers. That method may not work if the manufacturer is Chinese, but most brands have technical support than can provide that info. Hubby says that surge watts can be 50% higher than running watts, so you could give it a seat-of-the-pants estimate that way.
    5- Most inverters have surge watts built in, though not listed. So if it's a 1200 watt inverter, it can handle the surge of appliances matched to it. You have to check directly with the manufacturer if you're in doubt. We have found that retail sales people really don't know the technical aspects of the inverters they sell. Zero percent of the sales people we have dealt with have their technical information right on. We have gotten more reliable information from the guys who sell and recondition batteries for resale. They seem to know their stuff.

    While we've never converted a freezer to a frig, I've heard of people doing it. So that's something that Dan could fiddle with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A DC freezer would absolutely be the best way to go.

      Good idea about contacting technical support. The small freezer I'm looking at for conversion is a HotPoint, but I have no idea about where they're made. Sometimes tech support is outsourced too. I've run into that where if I don't ask a standard question that can be answered from a card, they don't know. I'll have to see if I can find someone around here who reconditions batteries. They'd be good to know anyway!

      My current chest freezer only has a surge of about 200 watts, and then settles down to just under 90. I read a lot of conflicting information about how to size inverters for these appliances. The ones I've been looking at have surge power listed with continual watts, but I just I'm waffling on the size because of the unknown. That's always the way it is I suppose.

      Delete