Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Yacon In Grow Boxes - Revisted

Way back in April I planted some yacon in pallet grow boxes as an experiment. I really didn't know if they would do well there. So it's time to visit those boxes. 

The yacon is growing quite well. I've never done a thing to these boxes since the day I planted the yacon. Never pulled a weed, never added mulch, never watered them. So what they've done has been completely on their own. The plants have grown quite tall, well over 6'. 


I notice that they are blooming now. Lots of little mini sunflower-ish gold flowers. 


According to past experience, the plants will be forming tubers now. I haven't checked yet for tubers, but I might try that in a few days. In the past I didn't start harvesting until Thanksgiving. But this time around is different because of the growing method. So I will check if it makes a difference on the harvesting. 

Stay tuned for a harvest update. 

3 comments:

  1. My article for the Jan-Feb issue of Ke Ola Magazine is about Yacón - a friend gave me some tubers for me to play around for the recipe I usually share in my articles. In the past I have used them as thin 'shaved' slices in a purple sweet potato salad with watercress and liliko'i dressing... I am playing with the idea of making an open face tart this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My article for the Jan-Feb issue of Ke Ola Magazine is about Yacón - a friend gave me some tubers for me to play around for the recipe I usually share in my articles. In the past I have used them as thin 'shaved' slices in a purple sweet potato salad with watercress and liliko'i dressing... I am playing with the idea of making an open face tart this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when an experiment is a success. Can't say I've ever had Yacon, although I did research it once while studying exotic ideas for the garden. Does it go dormant and lose it's leaves? My Jerusalem artichokes are busy making tubers too, but they've about died back too.

    ReplyDelete