Sunday, October 18, 2015

Drivel Once Again -- Gargoyles

This week I'm busy just catching up on jobs around the farm. So life these days is rather boring when it comes to blogging. Wannabe homesteaders don't want to hear about "adventures" in weeding for the umpteenth time, moving rocks, cleaning up banana trees, picking up horse manure in the pastures, mowing grass clippings, gathering firewood, foraging food. But these are things that need to be done on a regular, repetitive basis. Homesteading is often not exciting. 

Because routine is sometimes dull, I often spice up daily life in some fun ways -- wacky homemade yard art, for instance. Everytime I walk past my upside-down-tree-stump-fishpond I smile. It's so weird. 

My gargoyles are another fun way to keep living interesting. I have a number of them sitting around the place. Ya never know when one will be peeking out of the bushes. 

Now how can you not smile when you walk past this critter? It's wacky for real! 

For some reason this serious little thinker makes me want to pat his head whenever I walk past. 

And this roof gargoyle is super cool. He's perched right over the front door. 

We fell in love with gargoyles when we were living in England. Oxford town has hundreds of interesting ones on its buildings. Over the years we've acquired a number of replicas of our favorite gargoyles from there....and other towns too. So around our homestead you'll see bat, dog, dragon, griffon, and what-the-heck-is-that gargoyles. Not the least bit Hawaiian I admit, but yet 100% fun. 


1 comment:

  1. Aha! You have some fancy "grots" there! I had just a couple in Maui, really just little semi-shaped tiki-god blobs of Quikcrete, lurking in the darker corners of the yard. They apparently ran away, so I guess they needed an anchor...

    ReplyDelete