Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Pea Ascochyta

I've been hit by a disease new to me. I haven't seen it before. But the weather these past several weeks has been prime for encouraging diseases, especially fungal ones. And that's what is getting my peas, fungal diseases ......ascochyta. 



At first I thought that I had planted some infected seed, because I first noticed this on one variety. But a more careful look showed that all the peas were showing signs. Every variety, young and old. Those planted up by the house, along the driveway, back by the pasture, and down in the main garden area. So now I'm thinking that the spores are blowing in from some other location. With the daily rain and lack of good sunshine, it doesn't surprise me that fungus is happy. 

I hoped that the weather would dry out, but no such luck. All the pea plants are dying, so I took them all out today. A total loss of the crop. 

From what I gathered on the Internet, there's not much to be done. Removing the plants and avoiding planting peas again in the vicinity is all I can do. So I will forego peas until the weather dries out. Then I will try them in a totally new area....and cross my fingers. 


3 comments:

  1. Ach! I am so sorry that this has happened. When I got Valley Fever from breathing in dust of the San Joaquin Valley (and it nearly killed me) I found this quote that applies. It's from the Bible so forgive me if you're not of that mind but I take my good quotes where I find them. (paraphrasing) God made the small and insignificant to confound the mighty.

    And boy is that true! Thinking about growing things in Hawaii... don't we get into trouble when we try to grow things that aren't adapted? Or is it equal opportunity fungus?

    Thanks for sharing your challenges! - Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost everything edible is not endemic to Hawaii. Everything was introduced. Even the original humans who arrived here brought their food starts with them. Thus the Hawaiian Islands have all sorts of introductions, not only plants beneficial to humans, but a large host of pests and diseases that came along with the ride. And with Hawaii having a wide range of climate types, those pests and diseases are bound to find a niche where they thrive. Thus gardeners today have lots of problems to deal with, regardless of which crops they want to grow. It's just that some crops are easier than others.

      Every year I discover more of those gardening problems. Most of them have been here all along though I wasn't smart enough to see them or I was lucky enough that the weather conditions hadn't been just right. But then again, more pests and diseases are constantly being introduced to Hawaii, often unintentionally or via negligence/indifference.

      Delete
    2. That totally makes sense. I have to look into this more because I think it would be fascinating. The unintentional introductions occur everywhere humans go, don't they? For example, California is battling asian mussels that hitchhike on recreational boats. All the best to you. I can see the pacific ocean in my minds eye and it gives me peace.

      Delete