Thursday, February 19, 2015

Homemade Woodstove Toaster

A friend related a story about a homemade toaster that involved an old can. There are lots of uses for cans, but this is the first time I heard of one being turned into a toaster. Now ya know, I've used camping toaster thingies, the kind with a long handle and a mesh basket on the end. Slip a slice of bread between the mesh then toast it over a fire. But you can't use that thing atop a wood stove.

I've toasted bread in a frying pan, too. It works though its not as toasty, not as dried. Definitely fried, not crispy thru & thru. But hey, I've pan fried many a piece of toast in my day. 

So here's the tin can idea. Take one big jumbo can? Cut off both ends. 

Use something to support a slice of bread --- mesh, grill, couple of chop sticks or skewers, etc. Set the can atop the woodstove. Add a slice of bread. 


Then watch it closely until crispy on one side. Flip it over and toast the other side. Only takes a few minutes. I gave this thing a trial run this morning (it was 52 degrees in my house the morning I did this...brrr). Works great. In fact, I made myself another piece and put farm fresh honey on it. Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment