Saturday, June 1, 2013

Black Spanish Radishes

Here's a new veggie that I've never grown before. And honestly, I haven't the foggiest idea what to do with it now that I've harvested them. These are Black Spanish Radishes. Big fellas! The range in size from a hardball to a softball.

One of the volunteers at our local community garden wanted to try growing these. So, into the ground the seed went. I took a few seeds to try at my farm location, too. I just pulled these today. I am really impressed about how big they are.

So, any ideas what to do with them? According to what I've read on the Internet, you use them like daikons. But I'm not overly fond of daikons, either. Anyone have an good recipe? I'd like to give them a try, but is there a good way to make daikons taste less peppery? Maybe cooking them or pickling them? Gee, I need help here!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome for anything called "radish"! I don't recall anything recipe-wise for those, but there's always the option for the critters, from swine to chickens, I would imagine. Are they white inside? Maybe kim-chi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loved pickled radishes. You might try that.

    ReplyDelete