Monday, October 21, 2019

Pallet Boxes Second Crop

Right now I'm growing my second crop in succession in the new pallet boxes. As you recall, crop number one was potatoes. After I harvested all the taters, I wanted to grow a second crop. So I opted for green beans. So without adding anything new to the boxes, I sowed seeds.

Over time I've learned that I can reliably get two crops in a row out of a box without having to add more fresh compost. So far I've only tried using beans as my second crop, but I bet a variety of greens (chard, beets, bok choy) or peas would work just fine too. 

Beans - Royal Burgundy

After the first crop is harvested, the material in the box has decomposed to about half way. That is, the full box when I started out is now only half full. By the time I harvest the second crop, the beans, the soil level is down lower, with the box being filled only 1/3. By this time I need to add more fill. So I'll add compost, till it up a bit, getting the box filled about 2/3. Then add more compost on top before planting in order to bring the soil level up closer to full. 

Beans -- Red Swan

Sometimes instead of adding compost, I'll empty the box out, moving the soil to top off an adjacent box. Then I'll start out fresh again with the empty box. I'll mark the date on the box so that I can keep track of how I'm rotating the boxes. I figure that this way the soil won't get "worn out" because it's constantly being refreshed or started over. 

This all may sound complicated, but it's not. Really. Just keep incorporating fresh compost and I can't go wrong. 

2 comments:

  1. I should think beans would always be a good option for a second crop since they add a little nitrogen to the soil. Your rotating soil scheme sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try more container gardening next year, so that would be a good method to incorporate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the more appealing those grow boxes are.

      Delete