Saturday, August 17, 2019

Coffee Trees Today

Checked on my trees and found most of the green beans in good shape. But many individual branches are blooming, full of flowers. Generally the branches heavy with green bean have zero flowers. Branches with little or no beans are in full bloom. A strange sight. I did find one branch that was a mix -- rather sparse on beans and blooms.

A good crop of beans. It will be beautiful when the turn red. 

White coffee flowers. From a distance it looks like snow on the branches.

A mix of flowers and green beans. 

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen coffee growing before! Somehow I doubt it would grow in my climate, but I've never researched it.

    I was looking back through your solar energy posts. I'm gathering from those and your comment that you keep your fridge and freezer on a separate system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, Hawaii is the only State where coffee will grow out in the open. Otherwise it needs winter protection in s greenhouse.

      As for the frig & freezer..... For the first 14 years they were both on the house system. This past year we refined our system by moving the frig & freezer onto their own separate solar set up. That way, if the big house inverter fails, we don't lose the stuff in the frig & freezer. And if the frig/freezer system fails, we simply plug them back into the house system. This gives us the time to get repairs done without losing our cold stuff.

      As the homestead is making a little surplus, we are turning it back into the homestead by upgrading it. For example, we have been reserving the finances for a new roof. That's a project which we are just now setting up to do.

      Delete