Saturday, August 5, 2017

New Pumpkin

This one's a new one. No, I didn't grow it, but plan to try. This nice looking pumpkin came from a friend of mine. It's a beauty! 


The flesh inside was orange, just like a normal pumpkin. I made a great pumpkin soup with it. Very tasty. And of course I've saved the seeds. I'm hoping they are mature enough to germinate. I'll found out in a week or so. 

Pumpkins can come in all sorts of colors, sizes, and shapes. Some are actually different species and cannot cross pollinate, but I'll talk about that another time. And some taste better than others. Because of my location, I have difficulty growing pumpkins. The top problem for me is the pickleworm moth who lays it's eggs on the immature fruit, causing it to die. I also see problems with powdery mildew, squash borers, and the melon fruit fly. 

I have had moderate success with certain varieties of pumpkins, and have been looking for landrace types that will produce in my location. So I'm eager to give this new one a try. I know nothing of its breeding background so I don't even know if it will breed true to its type. So it will be a surprise to see what sort of pumpkins grow from these seeds. 

I like everything about this pumpkin so far. Nice shape. Nice color. Nice flavor. I hope it can reproduce itself. We shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment