Monday, July 8, 2019

Succotash Pole Bean

I'm trying a new lima bean this year. Succotash. It's a pole bean that I bought from Baker Creek. Other than knowing it's a black or dark purple bean, I know virtually nothing about it. So this will be a fun learning experience.

I've sown the seeds in one of the greenhouses in order to provide added warmth. In the past I haven't had much success harvesting lima beans although the plants grew well enough. Possibly the problem is not enough heat units....thus the greenhouse. We shall see if the heat makes a difference. 

I got good germination from the seeds (only 2 failed) and the seedlings grew well, what I'd term "as expected". 31 days after sowing the seeds I saw the first blossoms.

Photo is a bit bleary but the flower is still a lovely color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment