Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Pipinola Refrigerator Pickles

One of my favorite uses for pipinolas is to make refrigerator pickles out of the leftover pickle juice from a store bought jar of tasty pickles. I've read that it's safe enough to reuse pickle juice once. So it is a great way for me to make easy, easy pickled veggies. 

Now I hear ya......what's a pipinola? It's a vine veggie that goes by plenty of different names around the tropics, with chayote being the most familiar one on the mainland USA. It's kind of like a squashy thing, and can be used like a summer squash in many dishes. I like to use them in soups, stews, and stir fries. And they make a darn good mock apple pie. 

Back to pickles. I opt to use the larger, older pipinolas for pickles. Why? Because the young tender skinned ones are preferable for cooking or raw use because their rind is so tender that it can be eaten. The rind and seed capsule of the older ones are tough, thus needs to be cut away and discarded (to the livestock feed pot). 

Above, two large pips, washed and ready for action. 

Aboveboard I've cut off the rind, cut the pipinola in half, and cut out the tough seed capsule. 

Next, I slice the pipinola into thin slices, about 1/8" thick.

Finally I gently pack the pieces into a clean jar, add pickle juice to cover all the pieces, then store the jar in the frig. After one week I often start stealing pieces out of the jar, but they are better if I wait three weeks before eating. 


6 comments:

  1. Funny, my next article for Ke Ola Magazine is about chayote and the recipe I shared is for pickles...but mine are different. I used a combination of recipes I found on line and came up with a delicious pickle with a bite - mine have cinnamon sticks, Hawaiian chile peppers, onions and Chinese Five Star spice in it...Unusual but delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, super! I'll be keeping my eye out for the Ke Ola magazine with your recipe. I'd like to give it a try.

      Delete
    2. It will be out at the end of the month

      Speaking of using leftover pickle juice, my mom used to pickle hard boiled eggs in beet pickle juice...

      Delete
    3. What a good idea! In fact I liked it so much that I'm boiling up so eggs so that I can make a jar of them right now. Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I l always wondered how to use chayote!

    ReplyDelete