Sunday, December 1, 2013

Buzzwords

I'm taking two days off, heading to Honolulu to get my annual "big city" fix. Thus today (gosh, why didn't I realize that this was Black Friday! Was I insane?) we got to luxuriate in the aisles of a Barnes & Noble bookstore. Making it back to the garden section, I feasted my eyes on the titles of dozens and dozens of books. Then it hit me......one buzzword after another. Gosh, there's a whole string of them now. Book titles included all too common phrases like --
   Urban farming
   Homesteading
   Mini Farm
   Apartment farming
   Balcony farmer
   Container gardens
   Vertical gardening
   Hobby farmer
   Family farm
   ____Yard Farming/Gardening (fill in the blank with front or back)
   Edible Landscaping
   Factory farming
   No till
   Polyculture
   Permaculture
   Organic
   Natural farming
   Biodynamics
   Sustainable
   Green
   Self sufficient

And then there are the popular ones that I didn't see on book titles --
   Gentleman farmer
   Monoculture
   Grass fed
   Free range
   Better than organic
   Farm-to-table
   Localvore

If the book titles can be used as a poll, then food growing is the popular concern and focus nowadays. I can recall a time when bonsai was all the rage, or indoor plants, and the time there was a flurry of water garden/pond books. Now it's food oriented. Oh how the times have changed from frivolous to survival. 

No comments:

Post a Comment