Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Harvest

Erin asked via email, "What are you harvesting now?" Here in Hawaii I can harvest most crops year around, but not all. We do have several seasonal type crops here. Plus I don't grow everything. There are lots of crops I either haven't tried yet or just simply haven't planted at this time. 

So this past week I've harvested: 
Green onions
Basils
Salad burnet
Mints
Eggplant
Beets
Green beans (two types)
Pumpkin
Tomatoes (pathetic, they are doing terrible)
Parsley
Carrots
Turnips
New Zealand spinach
Daikon
Radishes
Rat tail radishes
Green sweet peppers (3 scrawny ones)
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Bok choy
Chinese cabbage
Taro
Pineapple
Lilokoi
Guava
Bananas

Most things are harvested as needed. Just one here, a few there. That means that I can leave them in the garden for a while until I want them. Things like green onions, herbs, taro, carrots. But green beans, tomatoes, eggplant, and pineapples don't hold well in the garden, so they have to be harvested when they are ready. Either eat them, freeze them, sell 'em, or give them away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment